Wednesday 1 February 2012

Valentine's Day: Is it truly special?

What is pink, sugar-coated and covered with icing? No, it is not a cupcake I am referring to. I'm referring to Valentine's Day. There is nothing wrong about celebrating love. In fact it is a good thing if couples make time for each other. Also, if a relationship has been through testing times, then a day like this can act as a healer.

But, does it imply that the celebration must be done only by gifting each other generic, fluffy greeting cards and gifts? If the day is meant to be special, then why not gift each other something personalized, which has significance to your relationship only. I'm sure simple greeting cards still do the trick. To me, the hype is unnecessary. Perhaps its because I have this aversion to looking at life through a glossy, rose coloured film that I am not a big fan of this day.

Another concept that puzzles me is celebrating your relationship on a day lakhs and crores of people are celebrating theirs' too. To me, the concept of "special day" is lost when the whole world  (literally) is rejoicing. Doesn't a day that has significance to the two people matter much more than a date which has significance to everyone?

Well, I think nothing stop the greeting card companies from working their magic every year. Particularly on the minds of teenagers.

To those who aren't celebrating this year, I don't think you are missing out on anything. To those who are, I hope you have a great time!


1 comment:

  1. You know, Ruchira, I actually agree with you completely. The 'special day' concept is definitely warped and the personalised gifts thing is very true. Though you might be slightly biased because of who you are, you do make sense. :)

    ReplyDelete